The countdown to Northside Festival has begun! With less than a week away from one of America’s premier festivals, we want to share with you some of the most highly anticipated musical acts, interactive experiences, events and films you’ll find this year.
In just a few days Northside Festival will take over Brooklyn for the seventh year with its annual celebration of discovery of music, innovation and film. Taking place June 8-14 in Williamsburg and Greenpoint, Northside Festival shines a light on the most promising musical acts, entrepreneurs, tech gurus, startups, filmmakers and artists.
Northside Music (June 11-14)
Giving a stage to those who need to be heard, Northside is recognized as launch pad for some of today’s coveted acts, like Sharon Van Etten, Iceage and The War on Drugs. Music fans will enjoy seeing more than 400 artists, including:
- Headliners Run the Jewels, Neko Case, Built to Spill, Best Coast, Sleigh Bells, Against Me!, The Very Best, Blonde Redhead, Rhye and more.
- Free McCarren Park shows with RSVP, including Luna’s hometown return from a decade-long hiatus
- Special performances include funny man Michael Cera joining Alden Penner (of The Unicorns)for a joint set at the Knitting Factory on June 12 (tickets here) and an intimate performance from DFA veteran Delia Gonzalez at Greenpoint piano bar Manhattan Inn on June 14 (tickets here).
Northside Innovation Conference & Expo (June 11-12)
At Northside Innovation, attendees will find themselves in the company of the next game-changing startups, alongside prominent thought-leaders discussing what’s next in entrepreneurship, technology, content creation and design. More than 150 speakers will call Northside their professional home during the two days.
- MasterCard’s “Priceless Elevator” pitch: Festival-goers, many of whom are entrepreneurs, can step inside the MasterCard Priceless Elevator in McCarren Park and take 60-seconds to pitch a business or business idea for a chance to win a $15,000 grand prize. Judges will review all pitches and select finalists as well as one grand prize winner. The competition takes place from 12 to 5 p.m. on June 11-12. No Purchase Necessary. Void where prohibited. Open to U.S. cardholders 18+. Ends 6/12/15. Rules:priceless.com
- Dell Innovators Lounge: Dell’s partnership with Northside, which kicked off during National Small Business Week in celebration of emerging innovation in the New York, Miami and Chicago communities, continues at the Innovation stage at Brooklyn Brewery. Here, attendees will enjoy the opening night kickoff party, interactive panels, innovative technology demos and an opportunity to learn more about Dell’s commitment to empowering entrepreneurial success and growth. In partnership with the United Nations Foundation, Dell recently launched a global campaign, #entrepreneursUNite, to pave the way for the next billion jobs by advocating for the No. 1 creator of new jobs: entrepreneurs. Dell is asking Northside Innovation attendees to sign the petition at entrepreneursUNite.com and to share with their social networks using the hashtag #EntrepreneursUNite, helping Dell reach its goal of 100K signatures to demonstrate to the world that entrepreneurs and the jobs they create matter.
- Exclusive Parties: New York’s biggest tech party is more than just panels. Daily Bloody Mary Brunches presented by co:collective, Dell | Intel’s Opening Night Party, Hungary’s Happy Hour + Pitch Competition and the Northside Innovation Closing Party, presented by Huge, are just some of the ways Northside gives attendees an opportunity to connect with the hottest movers and shakers – established and emerging.
- Fireside chats, “Real Talks” (intimate, personal stories from top founders), panels and more: Hear from the pioneers in creativity, innovation, technology and design at Innovation’s four stages: Dell Innovators Lounge at Brooklyn Brewery, Entrepreneurship Stage presented by co:collective at Wythe Main Stage, the Videohelper Stage at Kinfolk 94 and the Wythe Screening Room Presented by Douglas Elliman Real Estate. Top speakers at the Innovation Conference include Bill Macaitis (Slack), Paul Budnitz (Ello), Emily Weiss (Glossier), Oliver Luckett (theAudience), Sasheer Zamata (SNL) and Roger Lynch (Sling TV).
- The epic Northside Innovation Expo in McCarren Park will feature many of the best and brightest startups and tech companies from right here in Brooklyn and around the world, including official ridesharing partner Lyft, Venmo, Pager and many more!
- A number of app launches are set to premiere at the festival, including news and readable content sharing app, Kite, and music, video and mobile app Cornbread.
Northside Film (June 8-10)
For the movie enthusiast, Northside Film gives up-and-coming filmmakers a chance to showcase their work to new audiences.
This year, Northside expanded the submission categories to include shorts, features and episodics (a brand new category comprised of pilots, webseries, and original content). The winning short film will be decided by audience vote (so be sure to cast a ballot!). And the winning feature and episodic filmmakers will be selected by a team of jury geniuses including Alex Ross Perry (filmmaker, Listen Up, Philip), Sophia Takal (filmmaker and actress, Wild Canaries), Crystal Moselle (filmmaker, The Wolfpack), Todd Bieber (UCB Comedy), Charles Gariepy (Sundance TV), and Josh Poole (Above Average). Northside Film also curated a select few Out-of-Competition Films of some of the most exciting independent films freshly off the festival circuit, including:
- Opening Night Film “The Stanford Prison Experiment,” Directed by Kyle Patrick Alvarez
- Centerpiece Film “Devil Town,” Directed by Harvey Mitkas
- Closing Night Film “Eden,” Directed by Mia Hansen-Løve
- Beyond Screening “Abby Singer/Songwriter,” Directed by Onur Tukel
To purchase a Northside Festival badge, RSVP to the McCarren Park shows, buy single-show tickets, and see the full lineup, visit www.northsidefestival.com.
Williamsburg Walks (June 13-14)
In the heart of Brooklyn’s ever-growing creative scene lies a special place for art. Expanding to two days this year, Saturday, June 13, and Sunday, June 14, Bedford Avenue will be completely transformed into a public park from Metropolitan Avenue to North 12th Street. Visitors can kick off their shoes while taking in art installations and enjoying live, interactive performances.
- Local restaurant Sweet Chick will set up a block party at the event, complete with skate trick competitions, DJ’s and pop-up performances.
- UnCasso, street artist and creator of UnCuttArt, will showcase a new piece of their specialized wheat paste artistry. UnCasso is best known for his “Young MJ” paste-up seen around New York’s five boroughs. Graphic designer and illustrator Joohee Park is offering an installation that includes a series of mixed-media vinyl cuts, using digital software and hand drawings with a sarcastic, humorous and surrealistic style.
- Williamsburg Walks charity partner Triskelion is taking over a half-block with dance performances during the entire event.
Northside Festival Badges
Badges are available for the Northside Festival here.
MasterCard Premium Badges that get you inside all of the events in Music, Innovation, Film; in the middle of all the action at the Happy Hours and parties; backstage at the outdoor June 12 concert and VIP access to the June 13-14 concerts at Brooklyn Live at the Inlet are available to MasterCard cardholders at: https://www.priceless.com/en-us/unitedstates/Northside-Festival-June12/offer.html.
About Northside Festival
Known for its celebration of discovery, Northside Festival has been a launch pad for some of the most promising new companies and musical acts, including startups such as Uber and Venmo, and acts such as The War on Drugs and Sharon Van Etten. This year, attendees can enjoy live music from more than 400 carefully handpicked bands after a day of learning and networking at Northside Innovation.
Northside Festival, now in its seventh year, is the flagship event of Northside Media Group, which is committed to celebrating the Brooklyn community where people live, work and create, while representing the larger creative community with global impact.