Official Press Release –
WXPN Announces Holiday Season Programming Highlights:
The Night Before on XPN, World Cafe® Best of Week,
Year in Review & More!
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. December 16, 2010 – It’s the most wonderful time of the year and today WXPN (http://www.xpn.org), the nationally-recognized leader in Triple A (Adult Album Alternative) music and noncommercial radio service of the University of Pennsylvania, announced its programming highlights for the holiday season.
- Once again, Robert Drake will be rocking the Christmas bells and decking the halls during the 17th annual edition of The Night Before on XPN. The 24 hour holiday music marathon will start on December 24 at midnight and end at midnight on December 25.
- David Dye will play back the best World Cafe® studio sessions from 2010 during the World Cafe® Best of Week, which will kick off on Monday, December 27 with Ray LaMontagne and Mumford and Sons. The week will continue with The XX and Jeff Beck on Tuesday, December 28, Gorillaz and Beach House on Wednesday, December 29 and conclude with KT Tunstall and LCD Sound System on Thursday, December 30. The sessions will air Monday-Thursday from 2-4 p.m.
On Friday, December 31, Dye will be joined by Jim DeRogatis and Greg Kot of Sounds Opinions, a radio show on Chicago public radio station WBEZ 91.5 FM, to discuss their favorite songs and albums of 2010. In addition, Bruce Warren, Program Director at WXPN, will talk about his favorite new artists and albums coming out in 2011.
- The annual WXPN Year in Review will kick off on Tuesday, December 27 and will air through Monday, January 3. WXPN will play back the Top 10 Albums and Top 100 Songs of 2010, with albums airing December 27-30 starting at 10 a.m. and songs airing on January 1 beginning at 10 a.m. and again on January 3 starting at 8 a.m. Over 1,100 XPN listeners selected their favorite music of 2010 during a multi-media polling event, and XPN narrowed the list down to 10 albums and 100 songs.
- The Y-Rock on XPN Year in Review will kick off on Tuesday, December 27 and will air through Sunday, January 2. Y-Rock on XPN will play back the Top 10 Albums and Top 100 songs of 2010, with albums airing December 27-30 beginning at 12 p.m. and songs airing on January 2 beginning at 10 a.m. Y-Rock on XPN listeners selected their favorite music of 2010 during a multi-media polling event, and Y-Rock on XPN narrowed the list down to 10 albums and 100 songs.
- The Key Local Music Year in Review will commence on Tuesday, December 27 and will run through Friday, December 31. The blog will highlight the best in local music in 2010 and share polls taken by readers.
- Dan Reed’s annual Progressive Rock Show returns with 24 hours of the best prog rock. Dan will be joined by Biff Kennedy and the marathon will kick off on Saturday, January 8 at 6 p.m. and conclude at 6 p.m. on Sunday, January 9. On Sunday, the show will feature Star’s End prog rock special from 1-6 a.m. In addition, the show will feature a Sleepy Hollow progressive rock special from 6-8 a.m. on Sunday, co-hosted by John Diliberto.
“These programs will make any Scrooge feel the holiday spirit,” said Warren. “Tune in to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year and the best music of 2010!”
- World Cafe®
- World Cafe® Best Sessions of 2010
- WXPN Year in Review
- Y-Rock on XPN Year in Review
- The Key
- The Night Before on XPN
- Sound Opinions
- Sleepy Hollow
- Star’s End
WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN produces World Cafe®, public radio’s most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR, and the Peabody Award winning Kids Corner hosted by Kathy O’Connell. WXPN also produces the alternative rock service, Y-Rock On XPN (yrockonxpn.org) as its secondary radio channel in HD. WXPN serves the greater Philadelphia area at 88.5 FM, the Lehigh Valley at 104.9, Worton/Baltimore at 90.5 FM, Lancaster/York at 88.7 FM, Harrisburg at 99.7 FM and the world via online streaming at XPN.org.